For a while we’ve envisioned a network of organizations supporting social entrepreneurs. The time is now.. it is happening.
On Tuesday, January 31st, we hosted a round-table discussion at the Shelter in Dubai. The aim was to bring together organizations supporting social entrepreneurs to build a collaborative framework. A roundup of amazing individuals represented their organizations:
- Dr. Iman Bibars – Ashoka Arab World
- Najla Midfa -Khalifa Fund & The Hub
- Noor AlJallaf – Khalifa Fund & Dubai 4 Acumen
- Anissa Kermali – Dubai 4 Acumen
- Pauline Nguyen – Dubai 4 Acumen
- Ranya Sihweil – Emirates Foundation
- Nadine Kettaneh – Willow Finance
- Carol Escaravage – Coach & Advisor to Willow Finance
- Ramzi Jaber – Mapping Palestine & TEDxRamallah
- Wael Attili – Think Arabia
- Chris Batchelder - Shelter
- Medea Nocentini – C3
Each participant presented his/her organization services, and listened as others did the same. We discussed ways in which we can deliver impact. The group agreed to:
Build a network (Social Venture Network) that will…
- Define and develop the space
- Define the organizations that provide support.. categorize their service offering.. identify missing services..
- Collectively reach out to the Media to raise awareness
- Foster collaboration
- identify the stages of development from an entrepreneur’s perspective
- define the organization that can deliver support in the various stages
- Define social measurement metrics
- create an index of social challenges .. rate by urgency to address ?
- create an formula to measure social return on investment.
- Identify social entrepreneurs
- Campaign to reach them in schools, communities beyond the circles we are currently involved in.
- Reach out to Arabic media / web
- Mentor social entrepreneurs
- share the list of social entrepreneurs working in the field
- create one or two success stories in the GCC
- Fund social ventures
- Create packages for prospect investors who would be interested in investments in social enterprise
Participants are working in groups, and invite collaborators to join to help address the targets above. If you are interested in supporting, please leave a comment on this post with your contact details and services you can offer.
Tune in for updates on our progress in this domain.
- Dubai 4 Acumen – Social Entrepreneurship Workshop (rama.chakaki.com)